LOTR Blog Party!

Ok, so it's been MONTHS since I've posted anything. I am not a writer. That honor belongs to my sister, Ivy. I just like reading everyone else's creative thoughts. Anyway, Ivy told me about Bella's LOTR Blog Party and it sounded quite fun so I figured I'd give it a go - in between teaching classes and grading papers. :) I'm a day behind, so here's yesterday's assigment:

1.) How were you introduced to Tolkien? I loved the Rankin Bass Hobbit as a child. I could sing every song and knew most of the dialogue by heart.


Bilbo Baggins in the Rankin Bass Hobbit

2.) Did you read the books before the movies or after? Long before. I read The Hobbit first and then LOTR. I believe I was 8 when I read the Hobbit and 10 when I read LOTR.
 
3.) Do you like Tolkien's style of writing? I do. Some people consider him too verbose, but I am an extremely visual person and read very fast, so as I read it's easy for me to get an exact picture of what he's trying to say or create. I love how he gets into the minds of his characters too. 


The original covers for the three Lord of the Rings books


4.) Do you like the film adaption? Yes! Yes! Yes! I know that no movie can ever be perfectly faithful to a book, but I feel the Peter Jackson more than did justice to Tolkien's works. 

5.) What is one thing from the books that you wish Peter Jackson had included in the films? I would have loved to see Tom Bombadil and Frodo's dreams when he stay at his home. 

6.) What is one thing from the books that you are glad Peter Jackson cut/changed? I have to agree with Ivy here - Faramir. I feel that they still stayed true to Faramir's true nature - kind and noble, but at the same time they made him more human, and they showed a similar fallibility shared with his brother Boromir. Yet, where Boromir failed, Faramir succeed.


Faramir of Gondor

7.) What character do you think has the most strength and courage? This question is so not fair....But I'd have to go with Elrond. He's lived thousands of years, survived numerous wars, loved deeply and lost painfully, yet he still leads his people and the others of Middle Earth because he knows it was his duty from day one. 
 
Lord Elrond of Rivendell

 8.) Which character do you think you are most like? Probably Elrond. (And not just because he's my all time favorite Tolkien character ever!) As the second oldest of ten children I tend to be more contemplative, less rash, and think things through logically before proceeding. I'm also very protective of anyone put in my care. 


9.) Which is your favorite friendship? Oh boy...so may to choose from! Like Ivy, I think it would have to be Aragorn and Legolas. Legolas was actually far older than Aragorn, yet deferred to him as the king and served him without question. At the same time Aragorn knew the importance of Legolas' wisdom and assistance and took any advice he gave very seriously.


10.) Which is your favorite pairing? I LOVE Faramir and Eowyn - they are so sweet! But I also love Sam and Rosie. Sam changed so much during the story. Prior to leaving The Shire he was too afraid to even talk to Rosie, but by the time he returned he was a stronger, bolder, if somewhat sadder and more damaged person.


Rosie and Sam Gamgee

11.)Which Middle -earth villain terrified you the most? Definitely the Nazgul. They were scary enough in the book. Then Peter Jackson gave them that weird screeching noise. And no faces. The idea that they were once human kind of creeps me out too. 

12.) What is your favorite quote from the books? “I am old, Gandalf. I don't look it, but I am beginning to feel it in my heart of hearts. Well-preserved indeed! Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can't be right. I need a change, or something.” 
 
13.) What is your favorite quote from the movie? “Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

14.) Given the choice would you spend the day with a hobbit or with an elf? If the Elf is Elrond, I'm there! Otherwise, I'd be hanging with the Hobbits!
These people know how to do a party!

 15.) Mirkwood or Moria? Mirkwood - as long as the spiders are out of the way. I do not do spiders. 

16.) What is your favorite Middle Earth dress/style? I love the elegance of the elves clothing but the Hobbit clothes are just so pretty and fun!

17.) Red, brown, small and round! What did you just think of? Bilbo

18.) Rivendell or Lothlorien? Rivendell! That library! I'll be chilling there with the owner of Rivendell. ;) (Hey! He's a widower! It's all good!)
 
Rivendell in the morning

19.) Would you rather visit Rohan or Gondor? Rohan. I don't do well in big cities. I like wide open spaces. And everyone in Rohan looks like my family! (Blonde hair and blue eyes)

20.) What is something about Middle Earth that completely astounds you? Every race has the exact same accent.

Comments

  1. Hee! This was a fun one. I'm in the middle of a Middle Earth meme right now, but man, I'm tempted to join this party too.

    I would totally be hanging out at Rivendell with you. My favorite Middle Earth location! And Elrond is my favorite elf, though not my absolute favorite character. He reminds me greatly of my husband.

    And I'm so happy to find someone else who does not moan and whine about the movie version of Faramir! I feel like yes, they changed him, but for important reasons. And at the core, he's still noble, wonderful Faramir :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just a few rules if you're going to post something:

Be polite. Rudeness doesn't do anyone any good.

Don't be mean or derogatory, even if you don't like something I post. It is my blog after all.

Popular posts from this blog

"Much Ado About Nothing"

Thornton, Thorin, and the flawed hero

Movie Synopsis: The Hollow Crown